What’s your name?
Teresa McMahon, Barry Fishman, Emily and Claire Fishman
How long have you lived in northeast Ann Arbor?
Where did you move from?
Why did you choose this neighborhood?
We had a new baby and thought this was a great neighborhood for her to grow. Safe, quiet, good neighbors
Tell us about your family
Barry works at the University of Michigan and Teresa used to work at the University. We are huge fans of UM and believe it is a great university. We spend a lot of time at home — reading, gardening, walking. Our two girls are 16 and 19. They learned to drive on the roads around our neighborhoods.
What concerns you the most about the proposed bus yard?
We are concerned that adding a light industrial facility will change the feel of the neighborhood. Noise, light, air pollution will increase. We chose our home based on the relative quiet of our home’s location and the feel that we are part of a caring neighborhood. We greet each other while walking dogs, planting flowers, at gatherings.
What would you like our University neighbors to know about neA2?
Change is inevitable. Communities grow and buildings are built on land that was once vacant. We are asking that this particular parcel of land be developed in a way that fits with the neighborhood.
- Continue writing letters! It’s working. If you’ve already written a letter to the UM Regents & President, please write another one with the following points:
- Thank the President and the Regents for acknowledging the situation and putting the project pause.
- Tell them that you look forward to working on a favorable conclusion. Our favorable conclusion being that they relocate their plans for the bus yard to a non-residential location.
- Reiterate any major concerns you may have about noise, traffic, watershed impact or other issues.
- Request a plan from the University towards our next steps that involve our community input.
- Inform them that you will be attending the April 21 UM Regents meeting.
- Share your story about our neighborhood and the impact it will have on your family.
- Invite them to the annual Glacier Highlands Memorial Day Parade on Monday May 30th at 10am.
- If you are affiliate with the University in anyway, please call out in the letter.
- cc: firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share in our folder of letters.
- Continue working on getting your friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, fellow sports team parents etc… to sign the petition. We have 704 signatures and need 296 to reach 1000 signatures by the April 21st Regents meeting.
- Print out this flier and post up on the community boards of local restaurants, stores, gyms, day cares, schools etc… Pass out to the parents on your kids’ sports teams, music lessons, swim lessons, tutoring centers etc…. Help us continue to get the word out!
- Plan on attending the Thursday April 21st Regents Meeting in Ann Arbor and bring your family and friends!