Over the course of the past two years, University planners have put forth a proposal to move their current Fleet, Garage and Transit Services to the corner of Hubbard and Green roads.
Finally on February 23, 2016, Mr. Jim Kosteva, UM Director of Community Relations, wrote the following: “I would invite any neighbors to visit the Kipke Drive location and assess the noise and emission from the existing operations.”
On February 25, 2016, the first publicly-advertised forum was held to discuss neighbor questions about potential noise, air quality, hazardous substance discharge, or other impacts on nearby homes (including Glacier Highlands neighborhood and low-income, minority residents) and the local watershed and environment.
What can I do?
- Continue writing letters! It’s working. If you’ve already written a letter to the UM Regents & President, please write another one with the following points:
- Thank the President and the Regents for acknowledging the situation and putting the project pause.
- Tell them that you look forward to working on a favorable conclusion. Our favorable conclusion being a non-residential location for the bus yard.
- Reiterate any major concerns you may have about noise, traffic, watershed impact or other issues.
- Request a plan from the University towards our next steps that involve our community input.
- Inform them that you will be attending the April 21 UM Regents meeting.
- Share your story about our neighborhood and the impact it will have on your family.
- Invite them to the annual Glacier Highlands Memorial Day Parade on Monday May 30th at 10am.
- If you are affiliate with the University in anyway, please call out in the letter.
- cc: firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share in our folder of letters.
- Continue working on getting your friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, fellow sports team parents etc… to sign the petition. We would like to see this at 1000+signatures by the April 21st Regents meeting.
- Print out this flier and post up on the community boards of local restaurants, stores, gyms, day cares, schools etc… Pass out to the parents on your kids’ sports teams, music lessons, swim lessons, tutoring centers etc…. Help us continue to get the word out!